The learning management system (LMS) has become an indispensable part of Florida International University and higher education in general. With our move to the Canvas LMS, a new initiative from the Office of the Provost has established that faculty will begin utilizing Canvas for all academic courses (whether delivered by online, hybrid or face to face modalities) beginning Fall 2018.
Starting in Fall 2018, each academic course should:
- Personalize the Canvas front page - This page introduces students to you and your course, including contact information, course description and expectations, office hours, etc.
- Provide the course syllabus in Canvas - Upload your existing syllabus document or develop one in the Syllabus Tool within Canvas.
- Use Canvas communication and collaboration tools (strongly encouraged but not required) - We encourage you to take advantage of the many communication tools available in Canvas that can help organize your messages and announcements. Canvas also simplifies the logistics of student collaboration and group work.
How We Will Support You
Educational Technology Services staff will support you in meeting these requirements. We will have many options available to you to help you learn about Canvas and how to set up your course:
- Walk in support in GL-150 (MMC) or AC1-148 (BBC) Monday through Friday.
- Call one of the Resource Centers to ask a question or make an appointment with an instructional designer.
- Training on the Canvas usage requirements is included in the Canvas Essentials Workshop. This workshop and other Canvas workshops are available now at profdev.fiu.edu. Log with your FIU credentials and select Educational Technology Services.
- Video tutorials and other resources for meeting the minimum requirements are posted on this site. Click on one of the links on the Canvas Usage Initiative sidebar (above right) to learn more.
You will receive an e-mail from us when your face-to-face courses are created in Canvas for Fall 2018.